Bathhouse

Ehitamise aeg: 
1997

The romantic bathhouse on the bank of a mirror-like pond is used as a restaurant during the summer season.

The Palmse sauna was the most grandiose of all the known saunas in Estonian manors. The building had a hipped roof and was surrounded by an open covered balcony on all four, or at least three, sides. The central axis was emphasized by the pediment on the door and the tympanum rising from the balcony’s twin columns on the same line with the eaves.

Rajatise ajalugu: 

The bathhouse was built as a sauna in the first half of the 19th century. The 18th century (1753) sauna had been standing in the same location, but one end against the pond. It was probably destroyed in a fire that took place near the end of the 19th century.

The present bathhouse that partly leans over water was built in the second quarter of the 19th century by Carl Magnus von der Pahlen as a place for summertime social gatherings.

In the beginning of the 1970s, only pieces of the building’s foundation and bank reinforcement were still extant.

The bathhouse was restored in 1997-1998 on the basis of old photographs and the remains of the foundation.