Farm Labourers’ House

Ehitamise aeg: 
1831

One end of the building is used for the exhibition on the farm labourers’ everyday life and the tools they used; the other end of the building is converted into a tavern.

In Estonia, the lords of the manor started using paid labourers in the second quarter of the 19th century. A farm labourer was a person who had family and performed farm-related tasks in the manor (if the labourers were paid in commodities, then they were farm servants). Farm labourers lived in the farm labourers’ house situated near the manor’s courtyard.

 

Farm labourers’ houses were usually built by ones or clumped together near the manor’s courtyard or further away by the manor’s fields. The houses were normally residential buildings with 4 – 8 (seldom 12) apartments.

 

Rajatise ajalugu: 

According to some sources, the farm labourers’ house was built in mid-18th century (H. Sirel, historical statement). Later research results seem to suggest that the statement was about an earlier building, which was probably made of wood and was probably destroyed in the beginning of the 19th century. It may be assumed that the present farm labourers’ house was built in between 1796 and 1799. In the turn of the century, the old and the new labourers’ house both were still extant. The master builder of the new labourers’ house was Jera Joosep and, at times, also Joaveski Samuel. The ovens were built by the Russian master stove setter Feodor Gavrilov.

The labourers’ house of Palmse manor is a tavern type building – there is a spacious stable (threshing room) on both ends for wagons and other transportation items and a mantel chimney at the centre – with a trussed kitchen and smaller rooms.

The building was renovated in 2006. Since then, a part of the building houses an exhibition on farm labourers’ everyday life and activities. Starting from 2008, the other end of the building has been used as a tavern, which offers particularly good ancestral dishes.