Steward’s House

Ehitamise aeg: 
1820

On the eastern side of the manor’s centre lies the steward’s house, or the ‘New Manor’, which is presently used as a guesthouse.

In the beginning of the 20th century, it was occupied by the storeman, the steward, and the scribe, and at one point, also the smith and the dairyman. The two-story building was originally meant for housing guests. Alexis von der Pahlen’s inventory list of 1889 reveals that the ground floor had thirteen and the first floor had eleven beds. In addition to guest rooms, there were also a few housekeeping rooms – the ironing room, the housekeeper’s room, and a kitchen.

Rajatise ajalugu: 

The earlier plans of Palmse manor (18th century) show two wooden buildings – the cabinet maker’s building and the gardener’s building – in the place of the steward’s house. The present stone building was finished in about 1820, when the manor was ruled by Carl Magnus von der Pahlen.The steward’s house retains stylish building details from the 18th and the 19th century (wrought iron, doors, window shutters, etc.). During the first years of the Lahemaa National Park, the building was in a good shape.

The building was renovated and has retained its former appearance. The building housed Palmse Elementary School from 1986 until 2003. From 2008 onward, the building has been used as a guesthouse.